REGISTER | LOGIN
Weekdays noon - 3pm et / weekends 9am - noon et
Sirius | XM Satellite Radio
Call Andrew at 1-866-95-patriot
Book AndrewFree Trial

General » I Am John Galt

Home » Forums » General » I Am John Galt (12 posts)
sgtarky
2 years, 9 months ago
Anyone reading this book yet? I am John Galt? Ive been reading it, 3 chapters so far. its worth the read.
nav68
2 years, 9 months ago
Do you mean ATLAS SHRUGGED?
sgtarky
2 years, 9 months ago
no the title is I am John Galt, the author points out current real-life characters that are straight out Ayn Rand novels.Paul Krugman=Ellsworth TOOHEY lol
nav68
2 years, 9 months ago
I'm reading ATLAS SHRUGGED. A bit at a time. Interesting parallels to some of today's "progressive" thinking.
crossofcrimson
2 years, 9 months ago
I have a feeling that an overwhelming majority of conservatives who've claimed to read Rand, Mises, Bastiat, etc. have read very little of it at all, unfortunately. Of course, I've said that about conservatives and the Constitution too. At least they are better than liberals on it I suppose.
sgtarky
2 years, 9 months ago
nav, i finished reading AS last year, and I watched the fountainhead. I pretty much agree with Ayn Rand without having to read her work. Oh yeah in AS, I bet Obama wants to make a directive like 10-289
crossofcrimson
2 years, 9 months ago
I wonder how many "fans" of Ayn Rand agree with her views on conservatives...or her repeated public demolition of Reagan =P
slappy
2 years, 9 months ago
I have read Atlas Shrugged, It was a great work of fiction. I did see a lot of ominous parallels, between the government in the novel, and the government of today. " looters" taking money and " moochers" receiving it, and stifling government regulation. taking the drive to create and, ultimately make money away from those few who provide jobs and wages. I have never met Ayn Rand, cant tell you what she thinks, and don't really care. I can tell you why conservatives love this book, because it shows how government largess, and over regulation, will bring a society to its knees, and ultimately cost freedom.
crossofcrimson
2 years, 9 months ago
Well, she despised a good deal of conservatives specifically because they rhetorically defended freedom and decried big government but, as a matter of policy, had a lot of luke-warm/half-hearted ideas...which were sometimes even worse than the problem(s) they were trying to solve. You'll notice that most of the antagonists in Atlas Shrugged aren't government officials. Of course, more famously, she had a problem with aspects of social conservatism - namely things that sprung from religious zealots in their ranks. But, even as an individualist/atheist, I'm sure she ultimately had more disdain for liberals in the end because of their philosophical embrace of Slave Morality and more loosely relativism.
crossofcrimson
2 years, 9 months ago
From a little over 50 years ago; when Rand was just starting turn up the heat on Conservatives... "Ayn Rand - Conservatism: An Obituary" (http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=reg_ar_conservatism)
nav68
2 years, 9 months ago
True, Cross. A lot of people have gotton elected on the conservative label, then turn out to be self serving big government types. I haven't seen any politician who hasn't increased his/her personal wealth by being a politician. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most find it comfortable to support questionable programs/initiatives, especially if they benefit from it. Both parties are to blame, although I personally Democrats as the worse offenders. But then they've always been whores, and they don't care who knows it.
crossofcrimson
2 years, 9 months ago
It stands on its own as a huge critique of the two-party system we've wrapped ourselves up in, unfortunately; there's plenty of literature on the public choice issue which is also worrisome. But, yes, politicians with integrity do exist. And, of course, politicians also lie quite a bit. On the other hand, it's the public who often pays little attention to the actual platform/principles of the people they vote for far too often. As far as which of the two main parties is the worse offender in regard to politicians, it's hard to say. I used to be a conservative...but it wasn't until I removed myself from it that I saw how terribly self-deceiving some conservatives are on this front. What's particularly disconcerting is that they talk about reducing the scope and reach of government and often, in practice increase it...by quite a bit; and that goes from milquetoast conservatives like Bush Jr. all the way to Goldwaterites like Reagan. To the Democrats credit, at least they don't pretend like they are skeptical of government (unless someone starts a war). That is what's particularly enraging about Republicans ever since the Old Right was pushed aside. That being said, of course the scope of Democrat programs themselves are often worse, on the whole (health reform, etc.). But Rand's main criticism was that the Right was cowardly - that they rarely actually defended capitalism and freedom more broadly; and when they did they were disguising it or making excuses for it.

Post a Reply

Please login to post a reply.